Monday, April 13, 2009

Toddler Swearing

Today I am feeling like a definite mom failure. A couple months ago, I made the mistake of calling the dog a "dumb ass" in front of Marshall. Though I have been careful to not repeat it, Marshall latched onto that word and unfortunately says it semi-regularly (and accurately, I might add). This morning, we were all in the kitchen as Riley came in through the dog door. Marshall cheerfully yelled, "DUMB ASS." I said, "we don't use that word. Let's call doggie a Silly Sausage." Marshall replied, "silly dumb ass sausage." I laughed until I cried (not the appropriate reaction, I know).

The other Emily-ism Marshall has adopted is, "get out of my way, people." He mostly uses it while pushing his trucks around but will occasionally give this directive to actual people (how embarrassing). It sounds so harsh when he says it but given the context in which he learned the phrase, it is actually mild. It is what I say when I drive (I am a recovering road rager) and given what I used to say (pre-child), "get out of my way, people" is really, really tame. Unfortunate that my forward progress is contributing to Marshall's verbal delinquency. Ah, there is so much to learn as we go as parents!

1 comment:

Bruscato Fam said...

Oh my gosh...that is too funny!!!